Sunday, May 4

The End is Nigh!

It's not like I'm counting or anything (cough, ahem) but in about 22 hours I will be removing the dress and the veil, and the shackles that go with them. I'll continue to update the blog, because there's still more to say, but I'll probably be doing it in jeans and a t-shirt from now on.

I've decided against any closing ceremony, because the truth is that nothing changes when the dress comes off. I'll still be committed to loving myself, and it'll still be a daily struggle. I'll still desire the love of others, and I'll still question those desires constantly. I'll still take time to consider and explore cultural norms about love, self-worth, oppression, heteronormative "rules," ceremonies, costumes, tradition...

I'm just going to take the dress and veil off, and hang them up in my closet. For the time being, I'll keep them nearby, as a reminder. In the long term, who knows what I'll do with them. In a way, it doesn't matter what I do with the clothes. The real question is, what will I do with ME?

The short answer is that at 8pm tomorrow I'll drink a glass of celebratory champagne and perhaps enjoy a victory lap around campus in my underwear. Maybe. We'll see. The long answer is, when I get out of this dress, I'm going to spend every moment of every day trying to live a life that I truly love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No champagne! It's cinco de mayo! You need to celebrate your wedding dress run with tequilla... or at least a few proper girly margaritas!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! You inspire me every day. Once again, I wish I could be there for the closing chapter of this glorious project, whatever form it takes. Actually, come to think of it, YOU are the glorious project, so there's really no end in sight. I am so, so proud of you!!