Sunday, April 13

Congratulations to Me!

On Friday morning I was invited by Dr. Kirk, the President of the College of Santa Fe, to come talk to the college's Board of Trustees about my project. Unbelievable! Now I've been trying to get into a Board of Trustees meeting for nearly as long as I've been at the college - if I had known that all it took was a scrappy wedding dress and a blog, I would have done this project ages ago - so needless to say, I was thrilled Everyone seemed incredibly receptive to the project, and it was especially gratifying to receive enthusiastic and compassionate reactions from all of the (very smartly dressed) women in the room.

***

Today I strolled around the plaza with this guy for an hour and I was shocked by the number of people who wished us congratulations. Yes, I said "us." Now try and picture this - I've got my dress, my veil, my pearls, my lipstick, and this guy walking with me is wearing a gray hoodie and black jeans and really worn out black boots and a black hat, and these big silly aviator-ish shades, and on top of that he has a really young face, so basically he looks like he just skipped out on his high school algebra class or something. What on Earth makes people think that the two of us have just gotten married?! And yet, just the same, people are so blinded by their romanticism that all they notice is a happy bride and the male who surely must be responsible for her happiness. All anyone manages to see is a sweet little woman who has finally found a man to give purpose to her otherwise empty existance.

Ha!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i want to see more pics with the wedding dress that u have on. how does it look like? take some pics. also i dont really get that part of your project, please explain

Wolf Riot said...

Let's face it. No one wants to see a happy lesbian, or someone happy by themselves. They deserve to be just as miserable as the rest of us!

But then it's ironic that people get uptight about same sex marriage. Seems backwards to me.

I'm happy for you though :)

-Erik

Leslie said...

If we walked around the plaza and held hands, would people wish us congratulations?

Anonymous said...

I think this is possibly the one of most narcissistic performance art pieces I have ever witnessed. If a woman is expected to get married at some point in their life because of societal views and gender rolls, why are you sufficing to these views. Marriage is a union, not a self masturbatory holiday. Who are you joining as a partner? Do you have multiple personalities, one of which you are celebrating a life time of promises and vows? Probably not. Im glad you are pointing out problems with gender rolls that suck for women, BUT WHY LIKE THIS! I think its an egotistical self masturbatory statement that is not making the statement I think you want it too with many people.
--Herbert W.

Anonymous said...

Can I have a gender roll?