Sunday, April 20

Half Way!

Well, as of sundown today, I'm halfway to freedom!

Today I drove up into the mountains for a hike with my amazing roommate, Jonnie. Hiking definitely qualifies as exercise, so I got a few hours of public liberty from the dress, and it was DELICIOUS. Walking around in jeans and a t-shirt gave me some major perspective on just how much this dress owns me right now. It's taken over my life. It feels like most people barely notice me anymore, because all they can see is the dress. Over the last two weeks, I've observed that while some people still ask how I am, most people tend to ask "how's the dress?"

The other thing that really struck me today is just how empowered women should feel at this point in history. We've come a long way! Once upon a time, women used to wear this impractical, uncomfortable, oppressive nonsense EVERY DAY, and it wasn't really by choice. Obviously being female still comes with a specific set of obstacles, but overall, women have made a lot of progress, and are continuing to do so, slowly but surely. We can't demand perfection - there's no such thing. But we can demand improvement, and we do. And although we don't always get said improvement right away, the simple fact that we're even daring to ask is a truly beautiful thing.

No comments: